Yesterday we hauled the last Christmas decorations back up into the attic, so it’s official. The holidays are over.
Oh, I wish I were on a plane to someplace warm with a white, sandy beach. St. Barths or Cabo? Maybe St. John or Bora Bora? Ahh, well, since a flight south isn’t in my Orbitz search field, we’ll bring a bit of the tropics to us.
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (Important to use unsweetened, not sweetened)
- 1/3 chopped nuts, toasted (almond, pecan or macadamia)
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- Optional: 2 teaspoons Malibu Rum
- Mix oil, egg and 1 cup coconut milk. Sift dry ingredients together and add. Mix in coconut flakes, then mix in toasted nuts. Add remaining 3 tablespoons coconut milk and stir. Let batter sit for 5 minutes before cooking on griddle.
- Stir rum into maple syrup, then serve.