Crème Pâtissière (Custard Filling)
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups boiling milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract OR 2-3 tablespoons rum, kirsch, cognac, liqueur, etc.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat the sugar into the yolks and continue beating for 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the flour.
- Continue beating and slowly pour in the boiling milk in a thin stream.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and set on medium high heat. Continuously beat with whisk until it boils. (It may get lumpy, but will smooth as you beat it.). After the boil is reached, decrease heat to low and continue beating for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to scorch the custard at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and desired flavoring.
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Hint: If storing the custard in fridge, dot with softened butter to prevent skin forming.