We’re officially obsessed with Domenica Marchetti’s granita recipe. First we made it with honeydew melon. Then we tried it with watermelon. We liked that so much, we decided to fiddle with perfection and create a summery cocktail. And now that winter is rolling around, well, what choice do we have? Here’s our holiday version of a granita cocktail, filled with the flavors of Christmas- cranberry, cinnamon and cloves. We named the summer version Drunken Nonno. In honor of the Italian Santa, we’re calling this one Buzzed Babbo. Hmmm… wonder if he would prefer this over milk and cookies.
“Buzzed Babbo” Cranberry Cocktail
Serves: 6 8-ounce servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water, plus an additional 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 naval orange, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
- 12 ounces vodka
- Sugar rim:
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place a 9 by 13 inch metal pan in the freezer until chilled, at least one hour.
- In a small saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Heat and stir until the sugar is completed dissolved. Add the orange zest, cloves, allspice and stick cinnamon. Let the mixture cool until it reaches room temperature, then place in fridge until chilled.
- Strain the syrup mixture into a large bowl. (You may discard the zest and spices.) Add the cranberry juice, vodka, orange juice and remaining 2 1/4 cups water to the bowl and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled pan and place uncovered in the freezer. After 45 minutes, using a fork, scrape the ice crystals away from the side of the pan and stir the mixture thoroughly. Return the pan to the freezer.
- Repeat the process every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours. until the drink is completely frozen in fluffy shards. (Note: At this point, the frozen drink can be placed in a plastic container and kept frozen until ready to use.)
- Meanwhile for sugar rim, mix sugar and cinnamon and place in saucer. Wet the rims of 6 cocktail glasses with a paper towel soaked in water. Immediately place the rim-side into the sugar. Let sit until ready to serve.
- Spoon the mixture into the sugar-rimmed glasses and allow it to slightly melt to a slushy consistency before serving.