Lizzy’s Fresh Berry Tart Recipe
- One [url undefined]pastry shell[/url].
- 1 quart fresh berries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and/or blueberries
- 1 cup red currant or other non-seed fruit jelly
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or cognac (We used Finn River Blueberry Wine with Apple Brandy)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chilled [i][url undefined]crème pâtissière[/url][/i] mixed with 2 tablespoons kirsch, cognac or Finn River Blueberry Wine
- Roll out the pastry dough to fit into a pastry shell.(It’s best if the dough lops over the side of the shell a bit, unless you want to do it the time-consuming Julia Child way*.)Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.
- While crust is cooling, boil the jelly, sugar and liqueur in a small saucepan until it’s thickened and slightly sticky when dripped from a spoon. Paint the interior of the shell with a thin coat of the glaze and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spread 1/2-3/4 inch layer of [i]crème pâtissière[/i] onto the bottom of the shell.
- Arrange the berries over the cream, putting the largest berries in the center with the stem side down.
- Serves 8.
*The “Julia” way to pre-bake a crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake crust until sides of crust are set, about 18 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Pierce bottom of crust all over with fork. Continue to bake until bottom is set and pale golden, about 14 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cool in pan on rack.