Here’s a grown-up version of a slushy, inspired by the granita of Sicily. It counts as a “fruit and vegetable” for your daily count, doesn’t it?
Author: Adapted from Rustic Italian
Recipe type: Drinks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed (may substitute honeydew)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 12 ounces vodka
- Heat sugar and water in saucepan and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Cool the syrup to room temperature, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Put a metal, 9 X 13 inch pan in the freezer until chilled (at least one hour).
- In a food processor, combine the chilled syrup, melon, lemon juice, mint and vodka and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled pan and place, uncovered, in the freezer. After 30 minutes, using a fork, scrape the ice crystals away from the side of the pan and stir the mixture thoroughly. Return the pan to the freezer.
- Repeat the process every 30 minutes for a couple of hours. until the drink is completely frozen in fluffy shards,
- Spoon the frozen drink into a plastic container and freeze until ready to use.