Why serve boring white rice when this flavorful version goes with almost any grilled meat? Or make it as a cold-weather comfort food with carnitas.
Coconut Ginger Rice
Recipe Type: Side
Serves: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped to fit in processor
- 3 cups white rice, preferably basmati or jasmine
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil or mint
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Place onion in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add onion to pan and sauté.
- While onion is cooking, place garlic and ginger in food processor and process until finely minced. Add to onion mixture and cook 2-3 minutes, making sure garlic does not brown.
- Add the rice to pan and stir until the grains are well-coated.
- Add the coconut milk, broth and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove rice from heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Gently stir in chopped basil or mint (which can also be prepared in the food processor) and fluff with a fork.